Today is our 44th wedding anniversary! Man, she has put up with a lot over the years. I want to list 44 specific blessings she has brought to my life in these years!
1. For our two children, Amy and Brian, and the joy they have brought the two of us!
2. For her love of the Lord, evident in her priorities of spending time with Him.
3. For her kindness to me, shown by her patience and stedfast love.
4. For her creativity — just the meals alone show me how her imagination kicks in to serve our family.
5. For her ability to complete my sentences in our conversations. I think we’re headed to just using grunts to communicate we know each other so well.
6. For her excitement in finding treasures in thrift stores that we can either give to others or sell in our own little business.
7. For her determination to cream me in Scrabble whenever we play.
8. For her thankfulness for our four (soon to be six) grandchildren who remind us why we needed the Lord’s help to get through parenting!
9. For her sense of direction without which we would be driving around in circles (“Bridge?! We shouldn’t be going over a bridge right now!”)
10. For her commitment to spinning three times a week (riding a stationary bike, bolted to the floor, going nowhere).
11. For her enthusiasm for seafood! (“Ahh. The scallops in Nags Head!”)
12. For her growing in grace, learning to “pray it — not say it!”
13. For her efforts in growing flowers at our house.
14. For her appreciation for the flowers I bring her (far too infrequently).
15. For her thriftiness in saving up money to purchase something for the house (“We have enough to buy a fountain!”).
16. For her words of encouragement to me when I preach (usually followed by buying me a pair of socks — her “love language is giving”).
17. For her need to let me help her spell words at times (yes, I even help her in Scrabble!).
18. For her ingenuity in getting us a week in a timeshare for nothing!
19. For her Germanic love of fresh air.
20. For her heart that reaches out to the widow, the divorced, the single, the forgotten.
21. For her expertise and compassion she shows in her job at Ben Lippen.
22. For her encouragement to me not to read students evaluation comments after I’ve taught a course in seminary (they can be brutal!).
23. For her love of fresh asparagus.
24. For her remembering memorable things said by our grandkids.
25. For her shoe collection (most of which she bought for very little at garage sales).
26. For her desire to mentor younger women in the things of the Lord.
27. For her consistency in her own Quiet Time with the Lord.
28. For her sharing with me some quote or verse that speaks to our present situation.
29. For her grasp of the stories of the Old Testament and her encouragement to me to know it better.
30. For her family and their obvious love for her.
31. For her reflections on her late Dad and how he would have loved his great-grandchildren
32. For her willingness to pack up and move the whole family several times in our marriage (NJ, PA, Canada, SC!).
33. For her longing to see people won to Christ.
34. For her aches and pains that match some of mine.
35. For her love for coffee (she has a T-shirt that says, “Given enough coffee I can rule the world!”).
36. For her love of good chocolate.
37. For her absolute commitment to the truth that Starbucks coffee is, indeed, the best.
38. For her freedom to sing all the words to every Chicago song ever recorded.
39. For her enthusiasm at the beach when it’s raining cats and dogs and she says, “It’s clearing up. I can see it!”
40. For her good health and how hard she works to keep herself that way.
41. For her inquisitive nature whenever we visit a national park or museum and she has to read every sign and every plague that’s displayed.
42. For her gracious approval that lets me sit in the coffee shop reading a book whiles she’s reading every sign and every plague that’s displayed in said museum or national park.
43. For her energy in recently climbing the 257 steps to the top of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.
44. For her commitment to me — and for the Lord’s blessings for many more years!