This morning we unit-read through I John, one of my favorite New Testament epistles. There is so much in these five chapters. Because it is written for the larger audience of the world, the Greek in I John is the simplest in the New Testament. Here are my notes on this wonderful letter:
There are many takeaways from this book:
1. The need for Christians to love one another.
2. The reality of false teachers and their denying of Christ.
3. The fact that we can know certain things.
4. The work of God the Holy Spirit in the believer’s life.
5. The battle with the world, the flesh, and the devil.
One takeaway for me: I show my love for the invisible God by the way I treat and love His visible children.
My prayer: “Lord, help me to take my sin seriously, but to take Christ’s atoning work even more seriously. Empower me to love the world of people, but not to love the worldly system which opposes You! In Jesus’ name. Amen.”