Friends: If you’re a regular reader of my blog, you know that my friend Frank (in New Jersey) and I have been doing an email Bible study for over a year. We read the same chapter every day for a week — and then send a brief email of encouragement to each other. We’ve completed most of the epistles of the New Testament — and it’s been a great discipline for both of us.
Let’s notice some significant truths about GIVING in chapter nine:
A Generous Giver! (A Study of 2 Corinthians 9)
1. The Description: “this service” (v. 1)
2. The Attitude: “not grudgingly given” (v. 5)
3. The Mathematical Formula: “whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously” (v. 6)
4. God’s Attitude toward Such a Giver: “God loves a cheerful giver” (v. 7)
5. The Value of Such Service: “you have proved yourselves” (v. 13)
6. The Result of Such Giving: Praise to God “for his indescribable gift!” (v. 15)
Today’s Challenge: How do you look at your giving? Do you see it as a service to God’s people? Are you (or I) missing out on a special love from God because we aren’t as generous as we could be? And aren’t all of our excuses for poor giving devastated by verse 15?