Wow. What a great conference! The 2013 Desiring God conference, entitled “The Romantic Rationalist: God, Life & Imagination in the Work of C.S. Lewis” was held in Minneapolis and was a great blessing to this old theologian! Held in the Minneapolis Convention Center from September 27-29, presenters included John Piper, Randy Alcorn (author of “Heaven”), Lyle Dorsett (a noted Lewis scholar), Philip Ryken (president of Wheaton College), and others. Young people (under 30) made up the almost 3000 attendees. The worship was amazing, the plenary and breakout sessions encouraging (both intellectually and spiritually). This ancient theologian had no responsibilities, so I could just soak it all in. All of the sessions’ videos will be posted on the DesiringGod.org website by October 4, a blessing to all who were not able to attend — and a reminder to those of us who want to review what we heard. Some of the titles of the plenary sessions were: “Myth Wars: C.S. Lewis vs. Scientism” (N.D. Wilson), “The Friendship of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien” (Colin Duriez), “C.S. Lewis and the Care of Souls” (Lyle Dorsett), “Lessons from an Inconsolable Soul: Learning from the Mind and Heart of C.S. Lewis” (John Piper), “Inerrancy and the Patron Saint of Evangelicalism: C.S. Lewis on Holy Scripture” (Philip Ryken), “C.S. Lewis on Heaven and the New Earth: God’s Eternal Remedy to the Problem of Evil and Suffering” (Randy Alcorn), and “Lessons from C.S. Lewis for a Life of Joy” (John Piper). Watch the videos or download the audios. You won’t regret it! My heart and mind was drawn more deeply to the eternal, for, as Lewis said, “All that is not eternal is eternally out of date.” [Many thanks to my dear wife Linda for her encouragement in letting me go this soul-refreshing event].
“THEOLOGY MATTERS” CONFERENCES!
We are launching our "Theology Matters" conferences. These are weekend, intensive, and local church-planned gatherings where we look at God's Word on such issues as temptation and sin, heaven and hell, the importance of correct belief, issues of discipleship, becoming friends of sinners, and other topics.
If you are interested in scheduling a "Theology Matters" conference, please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on my cell: 803-201-9745.
Dr. Larry Dixon
117 Norse Way
Columbia, SC 29229
- John on Ten Steps You Can Take to Make Your Sermons and Preaching Better! (Part 2)
- Dr. Larry Dixon on Today is our 46th Wedding Anniversary!
- Dr. Larry Dixon on A Nice Surprise for our 46th Wedding Anniversary!
- Dr. Larry Dixon on Psalms of the Salter: Some Thoughts on Really Living for the Lord: Psalm 144
- Anonymous on Psalms of the Salter: Some Thoughts on Really Living for the Lord: Psalm 144
- Psalms of the Salter: Some Thoughts on Really Living for the Lord: Psalm 148
- Ten Steps You Can Take to Make Your Sermons and Preaching Better! (Part 5)
- Psalms of the Salter: Some Thoughts on Really Living for the Lord: Psalm 147
- Ten Steps to Make Your Sermons and Preaching Better! (Part 4)
- Psalms of the Salter: Some Thoughts on Really Living for the Lord: Psalm 146