“Buechner is my name. It is pronounced Beek-ner. If somebody mispronounces it in some foolish way, I have the feeling that what’s foolish is me. If somebody forgets it, I feel that it’s I who am forgotten. There’s something about it that embarrasses me in just the same way that there’s something about me that embarrasses me. I can’t imagine myself with any other name Held, say, or Merrill, or Hlavacek. If my name were different, I would be different. When I tell you my name, I have given you a hold over me that you didn’t have before. If you call it out, I stop, look, and listen whether I want to or not. In the book of Exodus, God tells Moses that his name is Yahweh, and God hasn’t had a peaceful moment since.”
Dr. Larry Dixon
Join 1,052 other followers
A new book!
Our latest book, The Forgotten Third: Developing a Biblical Relationship with God the Holy Spirit, challenges the believer to genuinely “walk in the Spirit”! You can order this right now through Amazon or directly from me (send $10 [which includes shipping] to my address).
Dr. Larry Dixon
117 Norse Way
Columbia, SC 29229 Cell: 803-201-9745
- Dr. Larry Dixon on Our Next Online Study: Unlike Jesus! (3rd Invitation)
- Anonymous on Our Next Online Study: Unlike Jesus! (3rd Invitation)
- Bruce Toews on Our Next Online Study: Unlike Jesus! (4th and Final Invitation)
- Dave Bennett on What in the World Am I to Do about My SIN? (A Study of Psalm 51, Part 1)
- David Bennett on Our Next Online Study: Unlike Jesus! (3rd Invitation)
- A Dozen Questions Worth Considering (Psalm 62).
- The Theology of Calvin . . . and Hobbes (Prayer)
- The Wisdom of C.S. Lewis (Quotes from Brian Sibley’s Book): The Still Point of History
- The Theology of Calvin . . . and Hobbes (Commercialism)
- The Wisdom of C.S. Lewis (Quotes from Brian Sibley’s Book): A Word from Screwtape