Tag Archives: promises
What a great prayer of humility! David makes some critical points as he responds to the Lord’s words to the prophet Nathan:
1. “Who am I?” David rehearses the kindnesses of the Lord in his life. And the Lord has decreed the future of David’s house (vv. 18-19).
2. “You know Your servant!” David rests in God’s knowledge of him (v. 20).
3. “Why You have done what You have done . . .” David says, “For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing (v. 21).
4. “You are unique!” David acknowledges God’s greatness, His uniqueness (v. 22).
5. “We, Your people, are unique!” David says that Israel is the one nation on earth that God went out to redeem as a people for himself — to make a name for Himself and to perform great and awesome wonders by driving out nations and their gods! (v. 23).
6. “You have become our God!” David declares that God has established His people Israel as His very own forever. And God has become their God. (v. 24).
7. “Do as You have promised, Lord!” David asks the Lord to keep forever His promise “so that your name will be great forever.” So that people will say, “The Lord Almighty is God over Israel!” (vv. 25-26).
8. “Bless Your people, Lord, as You fulfill Your promises!” David says that he has “found courage to pray this prayer” to the Lord. He acknowledges God as the Sovereign God. His covenant is trustworthy and His blessing on the house of Israel will remain forever (vv. 27-29).
Some takeaways for me:
1. You can learn a lot about yourself by listening to your own prayers! This prayer by King David is courageous and solidly theological.
2. Realize that a me-centered universe is so wrong and sinful. The Lord does what the Lord does for His glory — for the sake of His word and according to His will.
3. Don’t miss the uniqueness of God’s people. He has become the God of those He has redeemed.
4. He is a God who keeps His promises. And we can praise Him for His faithfulness.
What promises of God are you praying back to Him today?
57 You are my portion, Lord;
I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways
and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay
to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes,
I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks
for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you,
to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
3 The cords of death entangled me,
the anguish of the grave came over me;
I was overcome by distress and sorrow.
4 Then I called on the name of the Lord:
“Lord, save me!”
5 The Lord is gracious and righteous;
our God is full of compassion.
6 The Lord protects the unwary;
when I was brought low, he saved me.
7 Return to your rest, my soul,
for the Lord has been good to you.
8 For you, Lord, have delivered me from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling,
9 that I may walk before the Lord
in the land of the living.
10 I trusted in the Lord when I said,
“I am greatly afflicted”;
11 in my alarm I said,
“Everyone is a liar.”
12 What shall I return to the Lord
for all his goodness to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the Lord.
14 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord
is the death of his faithful servants.
16 Truly I am your servant, Lord;
I serve you just as my mother did;
you have freed me from my chains.
17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you
and call on the name of the Lord.
18 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the Lord—
in your midst, Jerusalem.
Praise the Lord.
1 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
5 For you, God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
6 Increase the days of the king’s life,
his years for many generations.
7 May he be enthroned in God’s presence forever;
appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.
8 Then I will ever sing in praise of your name
and fulfill my vows day after day.